Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Long and Winding Road – Getting to Donsol and Firefly Watching

It was almost 4Pm when we started our journey to Donsol. Nobody in the group reached that far yet so we just relied on google maps hoping that it shows the right path. I noticed that most of the time it was just us on the road. I felt somewhat isolated. I knew that the air outside is fresh. That the fields are bountiful and the coconut trees give abundant harvest. That makes me excited to stare at the night sky!

Prior to coming to Donsol, I booked 3 rooms at Aguluz Homestay. I was hesitant at first because I didn’t know what to expect but I thought that’s what adventure makes it an adventure. Moreover, it was suggested by a friend who is from the region so that was an added point. The house was as we saw on their FB page. I was hoping to meet Tita Marilyn but the caretaker told me that she was in Legaspi that time. The caretaker immediately led us to our spacious and beautiful rooms. It feels like home away from home. J

On our first night; with tired bodies, aching muscles and sleepy heads we managed to squeeze in the firefly river cruise. We were fetched by our boatman at around 8:30PM. I thought it was a little bit late for the activity but the boatman told me not to worry because fireflies are plentiful even after midnight. From Aguluz homestay, we walked a few hundred meters to reach the river. We boarded a boat that brought us to the mangroves.

The river was calm; the stars were shining brightly in the velvet sky; the air was smooth and soothing enough to make our eyelids fall. (Pagod na pagod lang ang peg from 15 hours of traveling!) It was the perfect condition for firefly watching and dozing off. (Ha ha!)

I was not expecting anything because out of my extensive research abilities, I did not see any video/picture describing the tour. A few minutes after we boarded the boat we saw a tree glittering from the rest. I thought it was a Christmas tree (on May). The boat went closer and I realized there were hundreds and hundreds of fireflies dancing and swaying. (I mean the tree looks like dancing and swaying because of the tiny sparkling fireflies.) We were like, “Oh em gee!” Disclaimer: I know how a firefly looks like but seeing so many of them on the same tree makes me want to believe in fairies and shout “Pixie dust!

I think we saw 4 trees glimmering like Christmas trees during the whole tour. It was an amazing experience. What really caught our attention was when our boatman went to one of the trees to get some fireflies and handed them over to us. Tuwang-tuwa lang sa fireflies. J

Sorry, no snapshots or videos. This tour is for our eyes only! J


By the way, here are some pictures taken at Aguluz Homestay.
Search for best male poser (and the extras)

FOOD!


PS: This is 2/5 of a series post [The Long and Winding Road]
Credits to Paul for the pictures. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment