Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Long and Winding Road – Juag Lagoon Marine Sanctuary

I want to dedicate a page in my blog to Juag Lagoon Marine Sanctuary because of the hardworking owners. I was really surprised and amused on how they maintain their area knowing that they are just a family of (I dunno how many kids) but the couple is very determined.

Photo courtesy of Ynah
I came across Juag Lagoon Marine Sanctuary a few months before I announced the tour to my friends. (Researcher ang peg!) I was fascinated by the clear waters and the big fishes where guests can freely swim and feed them. I know there’s a place like this in Looc, Romblon but Matnog is more accessible via land.
It began to rain really hard upon our arrival in Juag Lagoon. I was losing hope because we were on a very tight itinerary and the weather was not very cooperative. We were already wet from swimming so we just went out of the boat and went inside the sanctuary. I felt the cold rain water smashing through my very dark skin. I felt cold. We all went under the roof of a small make-shift and waited for the rain to stop. But it did not. The owner of Juag Lagoon approached Jenny asking if she was with milet. They called my name and I introduced myself. A few seconds later the owner guided us to a small raft and off we went to the cages.

Photo courtesy of Ynah

The BIG FISH encounter (plus the sharp teeth)

Photo courtesy of Paul
I was not scared of fishes. (Am I?) Well that’s what I knew until I met a big fish grinning at me as I was being led by the owner towards the center. The big fish was showing me his sharp teeth. Scary!

Some of my friends laughed at me when I immediately went at the back and hesitated to follow the owner’s lead. BUT when my friends’ turn to swim with the big fish came, they confirmed my fear. (Sinabi nang nakakatacute e. :P)

Before leaving the place I asked the owner about the sea cucumber I saw in one of the blogs. I thought it was gone already. But then kuya Alex told the team to wait while he searched for it. He came back holding this slimy creature.

Photo courtesy of Paul
And for our final picture… This is what we were raving about! J

Photo Courtesy of Paul
Trivia:
Juag Lagoon has a 13 year-old milk fish.
The owners do NOT sell the fishes.
The owners do NOT eat the fishes. I think they were treated as pets.


No comments:

Post a Comment