Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Batulao 2011



Last weekend we had an adventure at the friendliest mountain on Earth (as of posting). Friendliest because the weather cooperated, the trail was not so difficult and there is a mountain dew store at the summit.


The group met 12 noon at Mc Donald’s Cubao before boarding a San Agustin bus headed to Nasugbu, Batangas. It was a three-hour bus ride. Some opted to sleep before the climb but I chose to stay awake and took the time to reflect. I was tired even before the climb because I joined my housemates train for a marathon. We ran almost 10 kilometers earlier that day. Nevertheless, I was not sleepy. Maybe I'm just excited to climb another mountain. Or maybe I don’t want Jimmy to have the opportunity to take a photo of a sleeping me. hehehehe..^_^


After 3 hours of discussing how to get that Pinoy-Henyo word alikabok (Okay, this was exaggerated), we arrived at Evercrest Batangas. We had some final preparation and bought food for dinner from one of the carinderia’s along the highway. Then off we went to the jump off point.


The walk to the campsite via old trail was relaxing especially when we saw the moon peaking from another mountain. We imagined some bats flying over us and that creepy sound when Dracula rose from his coffin. Hello creepy November!


We took a rest at one of the houses where the house owner sold buko juice (coconut water) and mountain dew. Ultimately refreshing. Thanks to my 20Php coconut.^_^


After 20 minutes rest, we went on with the trek because we didn't want to arrive late at the campsite. We still would want to eat dinner early and have more time to socialize.

We pushed with the last part of the climb taking occasional rests. After an hour or so, we reached the campsite. We registered the group to manong's logbook and paid the registration before pitching our tent.

After setting our camp, we cooked dinner for everybody. Our menu for the night was menudo, which we bought earlier) heated using 2 casseroles one on top of the other. Rudy noticed it when he cleaned the utensils. Call that double cooking! Our mistake.^_^ Anyway, I ate just a portion because I was not really hungry. I ate coconut meat and drank coconut water while trekking.

After dinner, the "socials" part came next. I wish I could write them all but I want to protect my teammates. Most of the topics were not for public sharing. I still would like them to come to our next climb.^_^

We were waiting for Jay's group (also part of Team Injury) to arrive before we sleep. They were trekking while we were star gazing. I had so much fun looking at the stars. In my entire city life, I never had a chance to see so much stars at night. This was what I was looking for when camping. Wish granted!

We took a few moments to greet Jay's team when they arrived then I immediately went inside my tent and slept. I heard some of Choco's jokes but I kept my mouth shut. I don't want to disturb our sleeping teammates just because of his silly "banat". I had enough of Rudy and I don't want to add more to the damage. Hahahaha. Just kidding!

On the second day, I woke up refreshed and rejuvinated. Thanks to nature's nurturing fresh air.

We cooked and ate breakfast then off we went to the summit.

The sun was shinning brightly as we ascend to the summit. It was scarry actually because one wrong move you'll be tumbling down the mountain.


We were greeted by a Mountain Dew seller at the summit. With little water left and the sun shinning brightly, it was a blessing to have some soda eventhough it was not that cold.

The walk on the new trail was like a walk on the park. We never thought we can climb one of the camel's back. It was thrilling just seeing my next photo.



We arrived at the registration area of the new trail at around 11am. We again registered and paid the fee.

We arrived at the foot of the mountain at around 1pm. We took a shower first then ate lunch. I had a hard time finishing my food because it was so spicy. Thanks to Jenny she shared her food to me.

We waited for 30 minutes for the bus going to Cubao terminal. We were delighted when the bus finally arrived.


Thank God we were safe and the sky was clear.

Till next time Team Injury!

And reminder: Pay your bus ride!^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment